Barron's AP World History

Barron's AP World History for 2009 is the first book that I "read" through in my process of "reading through books" when self-studying.

Introduction

Ahh, unlike the AMSCO Book review for APUSH, the reasons for this book were somewhat different. Unlike AMSCO, I had no direction (no teacher recommendation as I was self-studying) and was simply on Amazon browsing

Self-studying is relatively new to me (as I am self-studying AP World History based on the hopefully not too naive thought that as I have APUSH and Chinese history pretty near) and so I "trusted" the "good name" of Barron's and borrowed this book.

I will do comparisons with PR AP World History and Kaplan World History later (as I am anticipating that World History will be the hardest of the self study APs I'm going to attempt this year, I borrowed 3)

So I shall split this book review into 4 sections:

"What This Book Offers" (basically, taking you through the experience of actually flipping through the book -- without wasting time, and resulting in a confused and frustrated you holding the book in your hand, in a bookstore),

"Highlights" (showing what this book stands out in, in ways that other books do not)

"Disadvantages"

"Final Recommendations" (An overall summary of the book review and most importantly, if I were to choose a study guide for the same course again, would I choose this one or not)

What This Book Offers

This book is divided into 7 Units, where the first unit compromises of the "How To Use This Book" Section. This includes:

  • What the AP World History Exam consists of
  • MCQ Strategies
  • FRQ General Strategies
  • DBQ Strategies
  • COT Strategies
  • Comp Essay Strategies

It is basically the "general stuff", the stuff that for one who is considering about buying this book (or taking/self-studying AP World History), chances are you already know all the percentage divisions, what the AP program actually is, as well as general tips.

Now I've skipped all the FRQ strategy and tip sections as well as the MC questions things -- it is ... what one would describe as something that is "expected and not particularly outstanding" in the way that the things such as "remember you must choose the best answer" or "carefully read the question" are already drilled into our academic minds that no one will get this book because its introduction stands out so much! O=.

The last unit consists of two "model tests" as they like to put it, and they aren't particularly effective in making the person really think -- popular opinion says that it is best to use the Princeton Review AP World History book for its very concise and accurate practice tests. Fortunately I bought it not knowing that, and I'll be covering the book review soon.

The remaining units are spread over 35 chapters of good 'ole world history, from 4000 BC to present day history.

Good stuff -- time to get started.

What each Chapter Consists Of

The chapters are organized relatively neatly, into regions and major time periods. Usually the Unit (there are 5 based solely on content) which focus on the time period while the chapters themselves cover the region. For example, I remember seeing at least 4 chapters with the title "Sub-Saharan Africa" as well as "South and Southeast Asia", though the content they covered varied widely as they were found in different units.

As for the chapters themselves!

Each chapter opens off with a list of the key terms covered in the chapter -- these are the bolded words in the chapter. Somewhat unfortunate is that the terms are not defined nor explained, which gets very annoying when the bold term (indicating its importance) is NOT understood by the reader. That's for the "Disadvantages" section later, however.

After the terms there is a general "paragraph" that cover the unit, which is somewhat helpful in highlighting the key concepts of the time period.

THEN there is the content -- with advantages and disadvantages, to be covered below. Noteworthy are the little "note boxes" that appear in the margins. While in other study guides that I borrow, especially with Barron's study guides, these note boxes serve as a "helper" to information we already know -- in this book however, it is more often the case that the note themselves clarify needed confusion that I (sadly) get just by reading the paragraph.

The content is divided into regions themselves, with headers often with the name of the empire/concept, and then a paragraph of related information to follow up.

Each chapter wraps up with a "Quick Review" of 15 Multiple Choice Questions as well as having the answers explained -- be sure to check out the Advantages and Disadvantages Section below as there's a lot to say about that.

Finally, after each unit there is a "Unit Review" compromising of 4 Essay Questions as well as 20 Multiple Choice questions covering the unit (where each unit usually consists of 4-7 chapters) as well as explanations for those answers.

Highlights

Advantages? COMPREHENSIVE (though see how this also turns into a disadvantage below). DETAILS (again, see below).

And of the many study guides I've briefly flipped through, I must say the maps offered here are highly-clarifying.

AP World History is also about making connections between concepts, something which is very intriguing yet quite hard to do at the same time. As this book is neatly organized, it often highlights these relationships clearly.

Disadvantages

WHERE to start?

First of all, my experienced upper classmen tell me that this book offers way too much detail in each chapter that it often distracts the major concepts that are "covered in the AP exam".

Now I've always been interested in detail. In fact, I find myself often taking too many notes for APUSH because the details make a complete picture while a "big" but nevertheless vague picture is the one that distracts me.

I love that detail -- yet for those who are "straightforward", this book is "too comprehensive".

"I rather read the textbook", "If this is a review, then the textbook is an encyclopedia" are frequent replies when interviewed about this book.

Next, the bolded terms are not explained. For the obvious definitions such as "polytheism" and "Buddhism", I don't mind. But for things like Franco-Prussian War, for one who hasn't taken AP Euro, I'm at a loss.

A particularly prominent 'flaw' is the lack of explanation for the causes and results of a LOT of the events, including, like the afore mentioned example, that of the Franco-Prussian War. It is bolded, why aren't the causes explained?

Sure, France lost, but why?

Perhaps I am doing my "too many details for what is required" thing again, but many of the cause-effect relationships are vague or, at least ot me, as good as non-existent.

Another problem is that the multiple choice questions are too based on the text. Questions are taken literally word for word based on the text that it doesn't get you thinking. You know the answer because you remember how the sentence was finished to the point that if the question was rephrased differently, one would probably be unable to find knowledge to rely on.

Also, the multiple choice often have all options but one that are mentioned in the text. It was possible to just look at the answers and know that the answer is the one because it was the only one mentioned in the text. And it turns out to be right -- this is somewhat counterproductive as any MC Questions are supposed to get one thinking. One example of "good" "gets you thinking" questions include the Barron's AP Psychology Book.

Final Recommendations

Despite the many many many disadvantages of this book, they are in reality quite "ignorable" and in general, do not overshadow its advantages that much.

The fact is, the textbook was not in the library where I borrowed these study guides from. And the textbook was way too expensive (and we are in an economic recession... )=) for me to afford, used & torn. As a result, I recalled some of the sayings of my upper classmen who complained of this book's "comprehensiveness".

It is comprehensive. Is it accurate? I will find out when I check out the "highly rated PR AP World History Review Questions".

AP World History, apparently is notorious for its "attention to detail", so personally I don't mind the detail. I love it -- but for the experienced, it is still too much.

If you have a textbook or another sufficient substitute, and simply want a review? Don't get it.

Final recommendations is that if you are in need of a textbook but cannot afford the $100 + ones offered, or are self-studying and want to make sure that at least you can have a more promising... "promise"...

Get it.

0 comments: