Entry #2 -- "Easy" and Knowledge, the Best Combination

Ahh -- as explained in my related post in the Psychology Miniblog -- it's getting so tempting for me to just read on the chapters because there is somehow a wave that is just moving me forward!

Now I'm not a "veteran" self-studier such that I know whether or not this is "normal", yet it seems like for those who even has the slightest thirst for knowledge...there is this motive, this drive that drives you forward that you begin to abandon your "notetaking" procedure and just read, read, read, read.

Of course, from previous "self-studiers", they appear to cram just for the exams, something which I think somewhat defeats the purpose of self-studying. That would be self-memorizing...I guess I am trying to simulate as best as I can to an actual teacher-student atmosphere.

That includes discipline that requires more than just "reading" the chapters -- a discipline that is harder and harder to enforce =P.

Strangely in actual classes, I usually don't have the temptation to "read ahead" as it is made clear the depth would be valued (due to next week's quiz, test, etc), yet right now it seems like a large "problem" I might have to face is how fast I go through everything ... yet not remember much.

I guess this applies especially to Human Geography, as the concepts, especially those of the basic fundamentals, are basically knowledge we have went over as far back as in elementary school -- I'm referring to the chapters such as "Maps and Scales".

It just makes the whole "reading ahead" (yes, I have a plan for this too) thing so much easier. Usually when I am struggling with the concept, I would find it less tempting to "read ahead" as I figure that that will only deepen my confusion -- it's only when I can celebrate my understanding that I can move forward =P.

It's just so interesting! The real world applications and the examples, in addition to the "voice" that is in this Barron's (but you can see in the Barron's AP World History Review that this isn't always the case -- Hey, my search button works!)

Perhaps I should do what other self-studiers do, and "read"...many more times that what I am currently doing.

Will that be just as interesting?

0 comments: