Entry #2 -- Ahh! Overload...

Eek! World History --... I thought it would be "doable" ...

OK, I may be exaggerating things a little bit. But there is a lot of information to cover...notably 6000 years of good 'ole history.

Interestingly enough however, I am also caught up with the "plot drive" found in the other subjects, that is, after I read a chapter I feel inclined to continue reading -- and not stop until I finish the end. Such things usually happen with fiction books that I really enjoy, and perhaps that can be paralleled here.

After all, with loose terms like "Joan of Arc" and ... something Troy floating around in my head, I was and am still more than excited to link them all together.

Getting all the knowledge? Exhilerating =P.

So what we learned from self-studying (or thinking about self-studying at least, because I have yet to start tackling the FRQ questions -- those are really challenging and very good at the same time as after answering it, you know that you would have mastered the relations between X and Y -- and successfully analyzed history. ANYWAYS) is that you should have interest in history -- or else I'm not sure what might keep you going!

Interest is really keeping me going for AP Psych and Human Geo too, or is it that I am tricking myself to think that I am interested in the subject so that I may learn more effectively?

Trick or not, it's working for me so far =D or not, actually.

With the "light skimming" that I am going through each chapter (because I am interested in linking the terms together primarily, and secondar...ily interested in seeing the underlying concepts and lessons), I find that it is very hard to remember a lot of the details, a problem that might become a bit serious as AP World History. I took my "review questions" at the end of the chapter and...

Failed it! Not even "Asian Fail"...true fail.

Not off to a good start. This does emphasize that having a teacher to discipline us with homework, quizzes and grades really help.

No, I'm serious. I would rather have the tests and quizzes. I would rather take AP World History the course -- but then, it's not offered in our school )=. (As for AP Psych, it is offered -- however, I wanted to do both Psych AND other courses in the future, where self-studying a seemingly easier AP can clear space for more knowledge ahead! XD).

It seems like self-studying is not just a matter of perserverence (for getting through with the whole thing), but a matter of teacher-like discipline that makes us actually know everything.

Ahh...so OVERLOAD is adequate in describing the AP World History self-study experience so far =).

0 comments: