Entry #3 -- AP World Over ... All?

So I have 3 books in front of me. Barron's AP World History, AP Human Geo, and AP Psychology.

Thanks to my "light skimming" tendency and the inclination to "read ahead" so that I can learn more (and in most cases, forget it all later) ... I am ahead of schedule.

Which one to choose?

AP World History Over All?

I eventually chose AP World History. For some reason! I usually find more interest in the sciences (i.e. Psychology) or at least choosing something easy, not “burdensome” like World History.

But something just made me want to move on in World History that I ended up choosing World History anyways. Time to progress another 1000 years in world history =). Once I get going, it is quite hard to stop. “What happens next?!” – of course, this might not accurately reflect what most self-studiers of AP World History might think.

“UGH, another chapter!” But something just drew me towards it that I just picked AP World History.

After I have had “enough” of world history (usually that never happens; instead, I have something else to attend to or finished my session for the day – though even then, I continue. Again I digress – anyways), I would feel reluctant to start reading chapters in the other two books, as it seems like they are now the ones that are the “burden” – the same view that I looked at the thick AP Barron’s book in the beginning. But I gave those two books a chance. And again found myself helpless in the “plot drive” in the books that I couldn’t stop reading.

Again.

(Not to say that this is an effect method for self-studying … but that’s for when I take the final “practice” questions and of course, receive my exam results)

What to be learned? You can grow attached to the various subjects you self-study O=. Be careful!

Or maybe that’s just me.

AP World History DONE … not!

Ok, in a way, I am done. I finished the Barron’s book. But of course, that is through my skimming-and-not-really-taking-in-the-information-because-I-currently-lack-the-discipline-to-read-it-more-than-once-to-actually-remember-the-information kind of way. Yes, that way.

What now? Well if I knew how to “properly” self-study … I think I am “supposed” to read it over and over again, and then after I am sick of all the content (in that case, it will take a long time before that happens =P), read it some more.

But that’s no fun. [Here is where I am supposed to offer the “fun” alternative…but I have none. Remember I am the nub who goes through trial and error, see what works best and tell it to you guys ;]] But reading it over and over again? No THANKS.

As much as I like the information, it is 90% thirst for new knowledge that kept me going. What’s going to happen when I go again? No idea. If it helps [me], my skimming-and-not-really-taking-in-the-information-because-I-currently-lack-the-discipline-to-read-it-more-than-once-to-actually-remember-the-information method does make me forget about 70% of the information, especially the details (OK, a bit of an exaggeration, but you know that feeling?) that I may be able to actually keep 40% or 50% of the information the 2nd time, and 60 – 70% the next until I eventually know the information and can actually use it in my quiz team tournaments =P.

Interestingly enough though, AP World History is the thickest, most comprehensive and supposedly the “hardest” Aps of the ones I am self studying, yet I finished it first.

Interest-driven, I would think.

So hopefully that interest will last me long. Now it’s for the real test.

I guess anyone can read through a book as they would read a fiction book. Once.
So for someone who can’t usually stand reading books twice (except for the awesome exception of Eragon), the real challenge comes now.

0 comments: